This Escondido, CA organization is looking for an entry or junior level Payroll Specialist with accounting experience who is ready to learn and contribute to the accounting team. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the accounting, recording, auditing, reconciling and reporting of the organization’s payroll and will grow in responsibility with training and experience.
Reports to: Director of Finance/ Comptroller
Job Classification: Non-exempt
Pay Range DOE: $16-$18 per hour
Type: Full Time, contract to hire
• Follow current payroll processing procedures to ensure timely and accurate payroll for all employees and various Federal and State filing requirements.
• Update employee records and verify information as requested.
• Set up new employees and properly code payroll transactions.
• Review approved timesheets for accuracy prior to processing payroll. Follow up on discrepancies, issues and potential errors.
• Utilize professional customer service skills to assist employees and co-workers in the execution of your responsibilities.
• Import approved timesheet data from EWS into Abila payroll module used to compute wages and deductions.
• Perform detailed analysis to compute any pay adjustments.
• Process and review for accuracy semi-monthly regular and supplemental payroll.
• Prepare, process and post data imports.
• Prepare and process the electronic transfer of payroll tax payments due to Federal, State and Local taxing agencies.
• Prepare, reconcile and process for payment employee and employer benefit invoices.
• Prepare, reconcile and process for payment workers compensation insurance and unemployment insurance.
• Generate, review and prepare payroll related reports for Federal, State and Local taxing agencies.
• Reconcile hours available for vacation and sick rollover/forwarding.
• Assist in year-end closing procedures and update the payroll system for new rates.
• Continually increase knowledge and understanding of payroll module through peer to peer communication, training and support, and other users of the payroll module.
• Monitor and maintain knowledge of current Federal, State and Local tax laws and statutes.
• Attend payroll law seminars and updates, at least annually, identifying potential issues and recommending solutions.
• Knowledge of payroll functions and basic accounting principles and procedures
• Knowledge of Federal and State employment laws relating to key areas of responsibility
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
• Ability to accurately perform administrative work with efficiency
• Ability to gather and analyze data, draw logical conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations
• Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing
• Knowledge of filing procedures
• Ability to work well with others and remain calm under stressful circumstances
• Have an understanding of what constitutes confidentiality, how to maintain confidentiality, as well as its limitations
• Have a passion for helping people and always trying to do the right thing for employees and the organization
• Demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and understand specific tasks, their purpose, and how they fit into the “big picture”
• Productively work independently as well as collaboratively
• Have a genuine interest about all aspects of payroll, retirement, prepaid expenditures, elective reimbursement, employee reimbursements and deductions, and accruals
• BA/BS in Accounting or Finance or Business Management is preferred
• Experience working with payrolls and maintaining payroll records is required
• One to three years’ work experience in accounting or related field is required
• One to three years’ experience performing general accounting duties preparing journal entries and reconciliations is required
• Proficiency in Excel
Upon successful completion of the contract this position will be considered for a full time offer of employment which includes generous paid holidays, 2 weeks PTO and, after 60 days, a competitive benefits package.
- Insert the job title in the subject line of your email with your resume.
- Tell us why you would be a good fit
Premierehire is the recruiting arm for an exclusive base of extraordinary companies in San Diego County helping them find and engage top talent for full time career opportunities. We work closely with you to ensure the opportunity is a good fit and to provide you with the tools and preparation for a great new hire experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.