Carlsbad, CA manufacturer is looking for a highly skilled, hands on, VP of Engineering to lead the technical team and collaborate closely with sales and operations. With expanding global demand of its unique proprietary technology, this long-established North County San Diego manufacturer boasts a strong culture of collaboration, innovation, quality products, and a work/life balance for the whole team. Their mission is to grow their product lines in their area of expertise while maintaining high quality products to serve their worldwide distributors and clients.
The VP of Engineering will have a key role in developing new product solutions. This is a hands-on position will require the active use of your engineering abilities relying on your creativity, knowledge of design for manufacturability, project management skills, understanding the financial aspects of the product, and effective leadership of the technical teams. The successful candidate will need to be resourceful while operating with efficient capital expenditures. Hands-on product design is required and component manufacturing experience is highly valued.
The VP of Engineering is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the engineering department, which includes:
- Directing the Manufacturing, Product Design, R&D, Customer Technical Support, and the Inspection areas.
- Review and approve proposed engineering designs, subsequent products and process enhancements with strong emphasis on incremental development of existing products.
- Ability to understand machine capabilities and machining principals, metal and other substrate characteristics, and part tolerances including tolerance stack up analysis.
- Mechanical engineering regarding machining of small parts, how tool interfaces work on different materials, and the contraction/expansion coefficients about these materials, especially the electrical capacity attributes.
- Process design knowledge to connect all the pieces of a product from the beginning to the end of production.
- Development and support of the technology and robotics on the manufacturing lines.
- Responsible for new technology research and maintaining the company’s knowledge of existing clients and product applications.
- Plan, direct, and manage departmental budgets to maximize investments and increase efficiency.
- Guide the development of procedures around facility and equipment maintenance, problem identification and resolution, employee training and development.
- Support the development of new processes and best practice documentation as new techniques are developed.
- Periodically provide project updates to the Board of Directors
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or an advanced technical degree
- a career track of increasing responsibility in Engineering and/or Product Development
- a minimum of 10 years' operating in technology-based product development including machinery experience to ensure the design of a part is successful
- influence on product strategy, ideally at senior leadership level
- demonstrated success delivering new products and technologies to the market including contract negotiations
- previous hands on experience working with metal working and other production machines is essential.
- management of multi-disciplinary technical teams
- skilled at sustaining momentum on continuous process improvement and a culture that embraces change
- strong understanding of production costs with an emphasis on manufacturing efficiencies and overall financial results
- understanding of FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis), DFMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly)
- highly proficient in 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks
We offer excellent compensation and full benefits among which include a 401k plan with company match, Health insurance with a company funded HSA, and a very generous profit-sharing bonus plan.
- Insert the JOB TITLE in the subject line of your email with your resume.
- Tell us why you would be a good fit and/or the key things you are looking for in your next role.
- You may also upload your resume on our site by going to Apply Online (upper right hand corner on the home page)
Premierehire is the recruiting arm for an exclusive base of extraordinary companies in San Diego County, California and beyond helping them find and engage top talent for full time career opportunities. We work closely with you to ensure the opportunity is a good fit and to provide you with the tools and preparation for a great new hire experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.