Carlsbad, CA manufacturer is growing and needs a skilled tool maker to work closely with engineering and production to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of tools and dies and the occasional mold. The tool & die maker will be the master of his area and machines and therefore needs to enjoy working independently, sourcing what is needed from the teams, collaborating, and ensuring that assembly is never without parts. You are your own quality assurance (QA) and take pride in ensuring exacting requirements up to .0001" tolerances. You will learn the unique requirements of this key role from the current tool maker during your first few months after which he will provide on call support.
Job title: Tool Maker, Tool & Die Maker
Location: Carlsbad, California
Type: Full Time permanent
Shift: Monday – Friday: 8 hours between 6:20 am to 4:50 pm
Pay Rate: Competitive based on experience and qualifications
Bonus: Profit sharing based on contribution and tenure
Benefits: Comprehensive including health, dental, HSA, 401k, education, tools.
Start date: September 14 but flexible
Mercotac is experiencing expanding global demand for its unique proprietary technology and has recently expanded its leadership team in addition to making extensive adaptations for new health safety standards. We are well established and take pride in our strong culture of collaboration, innovation, quality products, and work/life balance. Our employees are our most important asset and our commitment to their growth and their ability to serve their own families is demonstrated in our long-term tenure and almost nonexistent turn over. We ensure that everyone shares in our collective success through an employee profit sharing that rewards contribution and longevity. Our mission is to grow our product lines while maintaining high quality products to serve our worldwide distributors and clients.
Complete assigned projects from the engineering department regarding assembly production tooling, jigs, die set punches, production machinery tooling, and all related tooling requirements for the on-going and any newly developed production processes and equipment utilized in the manufacturing of Mercotac products.
To be Successful:
- Requires minimum 7 years of related experience.
- Determine the methods and procedures for making tools, tool and die parts, and other requirements as needed.
- Able to visualize the tool needed, draw it up, or use Solid Works and or AutoCad if trained, to determine the specifications required.
- Able to analyze a machine problem to get it working, resolve breakage or tolerance issues.
- Enjoys working independently but being an integral part of the team.
- Good at planning to manage your time, ensure that future requirements are anticipated, and to be able to address urgent needs promptly.
- Experience on a broad range of equipment and materials as outlined in detail below.
Details of the job:
- Set up and operate conventional (manual) machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes. Programming and use of CNC machine tools a plus but not required.
- Set up and operate drill presses or mills to drill and tap holes as needed for tool fabrication
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Sharpen or make (grind) tungsten-carbide machine cutting tools or inserts.
- Help design and then build jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Develop and help design new tools and dies (a plus if able to use computer-aided design software).
- Understand the application of tool steels and the hardening processes. Be able to use a small heat-treating furnace to hardened tools not sent out to a hardening service.
- Positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable, using devices for example vises, V-blocks, and angle plates. Fits and assembles parts into assemblies or mechanisms, using hand tools.
- Develops specifications from general descriptions and draws or sketches tool to be fabricated, using drafting tools or, if trained, a CAD program.
- Be able to stand for long periods of time while operating machinery and capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Insert the JOB TITLE in the subject line of your email with your resume.
- Tell us why you would be a good fit and/or the key things you are looking for in your next role.
Premierehire is the recruiting arm for an exclusive base of extraordinary companies in San Diego County, California and beyond helping them find and engage top talent for full time career opportunities. We work closely with you to ensure the opportunity is a good fit and to provide you with the tools and preparation for a great new hire experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.